Effective Saturday, March 6th at 7am, we have updated both hospitals' Visitation Policy: Non-COVID visitors are now allowed 2 support persons, without ability to rotate (end-of-life visitors are allowed to rotate).Click to View Our Visitation Policy (.pdf)
Home / Services / RMC Center for Occupational Health & Wellness Care / Student Corner
POST BLOOD OR BODY FLUID EXPOSURE PROCEDURE FOR THE JSU NURSING STUDENT:
- Finish the procedure in which you are involved and always ensure patient safety.
- Next, take care of yourself. For example, wash your hands with soap and warm water for at least 15 seconds following a needle stick or flush site with running water after a splash.
- Notify your instructor, your preceptor, and appropriate clinic staff so that labs can be drawn from the “source” patient BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE CLINICAL SITE. (Both the source patient and you will have labs drawn to test for Hepatitis A, B, and C surface antigens and antibodies; RPR; and HIV.)
- Fill out the appropriate incident report for your clinical site.
- Notify RMC Occupational Health at (256) 741-6464 of your incident. Be prepared to provide Occ Health with the source patient’s name, date of birth, and medical record number. After hours, call (256) 235-5121 and ask the operator to contact the Director of Occupational Health.
- If you are unable to present to RMC Occupational Health during business hours, proceed to the nearest ER. Bring your insurance information for billing purposes.