Effective May 20, 2021 at 7:00 PM, we have updated both hospitals' Visitation Policy: Non-COVID visitors are now allowed one overnight visitor and 2 support persons during the day, without ability to rotate.
Orthopedic Clinic and Surgeon Alabama
Orthopedic care at RMC’s Orthopedic and Joint Center is focused on restoring functionality and quality of life for our patients. Our top-of-the-line orthopedic care center caters to all things related to bone health—from broken bones that require complex surgeries to assisting with damaged muscles vital to movement.
Our trained partners at the Anniston Orthopedics and Core Sports Medicine can help support and treat every bone, joint, and muscle in the body.
Here you will find information about:
Services We Offer at Anniston Orthopedics
RMC boasts an outstanding team of orthopedic surgeons and diagnostic equipment, making the entire process—from diagnosis through treatment and rehabilitation—easier on you.
We have an expert team that can assess, diagnose, and treat degenerative disease, nerve compression injuries, damage to ligaments and tendons, sprains, strains and tumors, as well as sports-related injuries.
Our multidisciplinary staff caters to every aspect of orthopedic care, including degenerative bone diseases of the musculoskeletal system and muscles essential for everyday movement and functionality.
Your orthopedic surgeon will coordinate your diagnosis with a range of treatments delivered by several specialists within the field for one of the most comprehensive rehabilitation and treatment plans to help restore your comfort and functionality.
- Joint replacement – RMC offers full-spectrum joint replacement services for the knees and hips. The RMC Joint Replacement Program has been recognized by Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Alabama for exceptional joint replacement care. The program is acclaimed as a Blue Distinction Center of Excellence for Hip and Knee Replacements for its exceptional care and services. The RMC joint center is equipped to perform total hip, knee, and shoulder replacements, and perform revisions on replacements. Bilateral hip and knee replacements are offered, as well as uni-compartmental knee replacement options.
- Arthroscopic surgery – This minimally invasive therapy is ideal for relieving joint pain or damage. A pencil-sized camera is inserted into the joint; in cases where problems are detected, the orthopedic surgeon will use instruments to manipulate the area to repair or remove damaged tissue. The knees, shoulders, and hips are all areas that can benefit from arthroscopic surgery.
- Sports medicine – RMC joint center caters to all sports-related injuries—from the simplest to the most complex. Sports injuries can occur in even the most trained; we often see highly trained athletes with a torn muscle, splint, or stress fracture. Our team of orthopedic surgeons can assess and thoroughly treat the area.
- Hand and wrist surgery – With a team of dedicated specialists that understand the importance of your wrists and hands, RMC has a broad range of services available for identifying and treating hand, wrist, and upper extremity injuries. Arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, broken and fractured bones, sprains, and tendonitis are all treated at RMC.
- Foot and ankle surgery – With 26 bones, 33 joints, and hundreds of muscles that make up their inner workings, our feet and ankles are connected with a system of ligaments and tendons to create a fully functional system. RMC understands how foot and ankle injuries can impact your quality of everyday life. With a skilled selection of orthopedic surgeons on hand, several expert services are available to treat your feet.
- Arthritis care – Arthritis aches and pains can be debilitating. Our orthopedic care clinic in Anniston, AL, can help treat, manage and alleviate some of the pains associated with arthritis.
- Pediatric orthopedics – The highly specialized team of orthopedic surgeons at RMC offers a comprehensive list of pediatric orthopedic services that include acute and chronic injuries, bone and joint conditions, cerebral palsy, limb deformities, and more. The team can assist with all pediatric requirements. Also, our Alabama orthopedic clinic is skilled in managing and caring for a growing child’s needs that requires ongoing medical care.
Orthopedic care doesn’t end at treatment. Often, follow-up or rehabilitative care is needed for the maintenance or rehabilitation of the injured site. Therapy and rehabilitation are offered at RMC with a customized and tailor-made approach to each patient.
Whether the care needed is physiological in post-amputation support or rehabilitative to re-train the muscles into movement, a team of highly skilled therapists and surgeons consult together to provide profound and complete care packages. You will never face an injury alone at RMC. We will walk right alongside you.
Robotic Joint Replacement Surgery
At RMC, we utilize Mako Robotic-Arm Assisted Technology for personalized surgical solutions. The system uses CT scans of your joints to produce a 3D model. Your orthopedic surgeon will work alongside Mako technology to customize and plan your joint replacement procedure.
The surgeon will guide the robotic arm around the implant site while the technology keeps within certain parameters and boundaries to accurately and precisely help replace your hip or knee.
The benefits of robotic joint replacement:
- The Mako plan – The Mako robotic arm creates a personalized pre-operative plan for the surgery. Think of it as a map that will guide the arm and the surgeon for precision during the procedure.
- Surgical benefits – Accuracy, precision, and safety are critical surgical benefits to using the Mako system for joint replacement. The accuracy will allow for precise placements of joints that are as close as they medically should be.
- Post-surgical therapy – The surgeon will guide the patient through post-operative care and treatment, often with a plan that has been recommended in conjunction with a physical therapist.
Anniston orthopedics offers specialized, yet comprehensive, services to treat and maintain all musculoskeletal injuries—from the simplest sports-related issues to intensely complex joint replacement surgeries.
Sports medicine physicians are often the first port of call for any injury; they are skilled in treating injuries and can make referrals for more complex surgeries and procedures that require orthopedic physicians. They can also make recommendations for supplements, nutrition, exercise, and rehabilitative care to maintain fitness levels and a healthy system.
Sports medicine revolves around movement and the body’s functionality, whether the injury is sports-related or not. Most physicians within this field equip patients with the tools and knowledge to prevent further damage and fully heal affected areas.
Meet The Team
Our team of dedicated physicians are all board-certified in orthopedic surgery and sports medicine, and can treat a range of injuries. Our professional teams are comprised of specialist registered nurses, assistants, and social workers.
The RMC orthopedic center caters for post-op care and rehabilitation with a team of licensed physical and occupational therapists.
Our patient care is lead by a skilled team of physicians:
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: Are appointments necessary?
A: Appointments are preferred; however, emergency cases will be treated as such. Please refer to the emergency rooms for urgent care cases. From the ER, a referral will be made for the right orthopedic care option that you may require. Your primary care doctor will be able to write a referral for orthopedic services.
- Q: What is an orthopedic surgeon?
A: An orthopedic surgeon is a medical doctor with more than 14 years of orthopedic education in treating musculoskeletal injuries and diseases. Some physicians are general orthopedic practitioners, while others specialize. You might not need the services of an orthopedic surgeon, which is why the referral process is in place. The ER will refer you to a specialist that can help manage your injury or disease best; they may consult with the orthopedic specialist from time to time.
- Q: What is the recovery time for a joint replacement?
A: The recovery period varies between patients and treatments they accept. Each patient will heal at a different rate and might need a combined list of medicines.
- Q: What can I expect at an appointment?
A: An appointment might involve a few diagnostic tests and a discussion on the injury as well as your personal and family medical history. Your physician will be able to discuss a possible diagnosis or request further testing and information. Once you receive your diagnosis, your physician will work with you to create a treatment plan for you.
About Blue Distinction
From minor or major sprains and strains, painful joints, fractures, back pain, or torn ligaments through comprehensive rehabilitation program, the experienced orthopedic staff at RMC will have you back in game enjoying an optimum level of mobility quickly and conveniently.
RMC is recognized by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama as a Blue Distinction Centers+ for Knee and Hip Replacement®.
Comprehensive treatment plans customized to meet individual needs and alleviate symptoms of arthritis.
Joint replacement expertise for knees, hips, elbows and shoulders.
Treatments range from physical therapy and medications to minimally invasive, sophisticated surgical options.
Specialized sports medicine doctors, physical therapists and fitness professionals provide comprehensive care for sports injuries.
Expert surgical treatment utilizing the latest techniques and minimally invasive options.
Customized recovery plans to improve mobility, strength, flexibility and endurance.