Effective August 11, 2021 at 7:00 AM, we have updated both hospitals' Visitation Policy: Non-COVID inpatients are now allowed one overnight visitor and one nonrotating support person during the day. Read the full policy for details here.
Maternity Care Clinic Anniston, AL
Having a baby is one of life’s greatest joys; caring for your new baby and yourself starts while your baby’s still in the womb. The maternal medical care team in the Women and Children’s Pavilion at RMC in Anniston welcomes more than 2,000 newborns each year.
The Women’s and Children’s Pavilion has a team of specially trained OB Nurses, board-certified physicians, and top-of-the-line labor, delivery, and recovery care systems. RMC is committed to patient safety, comfort, and guiding new parents through one of the happiest moments in life. Each milestone through prenatal to postnatal care is catered for at RMC.
Here you fill find information about:
Choice Driven Care
Maternity care should be choice-driven. At RMC, families have the right to choose, with a focus placed on comfort and safety. Families have access to many natural delivery options and expert support throughout their birthing.
Your preferred birthing plan is upheld at RMC, the first designated baby-friendly hospital in Alabama. The success rate of our unit can be attributed to our team of doctors and nurses, and the specialty classes we have to prepare new parents for life before and after their child’s birth.
RMC is one of the first designated baby-friendly hospitals in Alabama. With a trained staff of physicians and specialist maternity care workers, RMC is equipped to provide the best baby-friendly care and offer a comforting environment for the whole family. Having a baby should be a joyous and exciting experience, which is why our unit ensures quality care comes standard for everyone.
At RMC, we encourage:
- Immediate skin-to-skin contact for mother and baby, which is one of the most integral parts of bonding between them. Skin-to-skin contact helps establish breastfeeding, and helps the newborn transition into the world, feeling safe and comforted all the while.
- Rooming-in – We practice rooming-in at RMC; mothers and babies will spend the majority of their time together ample skin-to-skin contact, and all checks will be performed at the bedside. This is a crucial time for mothers to learn their baby’s cues and for babies to feel comforted. Babies that room-in with their parents tend to cry less than those that stay in baby nurseries.
- Breastfeeding and lactation support – RMC encourages breastfeeding and offers specialist and expert support. Formula feeding is also supported. RMC believes that educated decisions and supported choices lead to healthy children.
- Low intervention births are encouraged at RMC; this allows your baby to be born as naturally and healthy as possible.
- V-BAC plans and support are offered for mothers that would prefer this option. The team of specialist care providers is experienced and skilled with V-BAC care and preparation during the prenatal and postnatal periods.
- Custom birth plans, including water births and family-centered cesareans that involve clear draping for the family to view the delivery.
- High-risk pregnancy care is offered by a team of experts that can care for both mother and baby every step of the way.
Baby-friendly care is centered around the belief that mothers and babies come first, with every step taken to ensure that new moms and their babies get the best care possible with little-to-no intervention.
The designation of baby-friendly has been given to us by The World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). We uphold that designation as much as possible, and will always encourage low-intervention and mother and baby-led care.
Low Intervention Maternity Care Clinic
RMC’s maternity care clinic encourages as little intervention as possible. Birthing is a sacred life experience; the team believes that expectant mothers should be as comfortable and supported as possible.
The Women’s and Children’s Pavilion is dedicated to supporting women through their choices and personal wishes. RMC allows mothers to birth the way they want to while ensuring as little intervention as possible. Whether that means natural and non-medicated births or epidurals, it is up to the mother to decide.
Low-intervention birth benefits include:
- Faster recovery post-birth;
- No need for major surgery and pain management;
- Improved breastfeeding experience and quicker post-partum recovery;
- And reduced stress on both baby and mother—relaxed birthing environments positively contribute to healthier and happier babies.
Low Intervention Offering:
- Nitrous – Self-administered nitrous oxide is offered to low-risk patients for fast and effective pain relief. Nitrous leaves the system quickly and doesn’t pass on significant amounts to your baby.
- Hydrotherapy tubs – Water labor treatments are ideal for patients during active labor. Low-risk patients immerse into warm water during active contractions.
- Birth stools and balls – Every labor and birth is different; birthing stools and balls are available for different laboring positions.
- Wireless fetal monitoring – We understand that sometimes you need to move through a contraction or walk them off. We offer portable monitors so you can walk throughout your labor, and we can monitor your baby’s progress.
Why is RMC Designated Baby-Friendly?
RMC’s state-of-the-art designed and fully equipped Women’s & Children’s Pavilion feature the following services and accommodations for new moms and babies:
- 10 Comfortable and Private Labor-Delivery-Recovery (LDR) Birthing Suites
- 20 Private and Spacious Postpartum (After-Delivery) Rooms Ideal for Rooming-in – Allowing Mothers and Infants to Remain Together 24 hours a Day
- Dedicated, Family-Centered C-section Suites
- Level II Special Care Nursery
- Certified Lactation Specialists and Breastfeeding Experts Encourage Nursing on Demand ((256) 235-5632, ext. 1) and breastfeeding supplies for purchase
- Board-certified OB Physicians and Clinical Staff Foster Low-Intervention Birthing Plans, including water labor
- Prenatal Classes, Facility Tours and Lactation Support Classes by Certified Nurse Educators
- Skin-to-skin care after delivery
- Doulas welcomed as desired by patients
- Natural childbirth classes, sibling classes, and breastfeeding classes
- “Security Blanket” 24-hour hotline for new parents at (256) 235-5631
- Safe Kids monthly child safety seat inspections, for more info call (256) 235-5632 ext. 3
- Bereavement program for parents who have lost children due to miscarriage, stillbirth, newborn death, or early childhood death. For information call (256) 235-5632 ext. 2
RMC’s LDR suites are private, spacious and to allow you to labor, deliver and recover in one spacious room. You will then spend the rest of your stay in a private mother/baby postpartum room with your baby. Fathers, and others as the mother desires, are welcome participants in childbirth.
The Women’s and Children’s Pavilion offers various pregnancy and parenting classes, and first-class prenatal care. From first-time ultrasounds to regular check-ups, RMC caters to every milestone. Our state-of-the-art screening services allow us to cater to all pregnancies from low-to-high risk; through it all, your pregnancy is in great hands.
The RMC Women’s and Children’s Pavilion offer the following classes to support your journey to parenthood:
- Pregnancy care classes;
- Birthing classes;
- Parenting classes;
- Infant classes;
- Toddler and baby classes;
- And mother and baby groups.
Labor and Delivery
Pre-admission is a large part of our care offering. The process handles making your arrangements in advance, so when the time comes, all you need to do is arrive and prepare to welcome your baby into the world—while we take care of the rest. We recommend submitting your pre-admissions documents by the seventh month of pregnancy.
- Pre-admissions Form #1 – This form is full of personal particulars and details such as insurance and next-of-kin contacts.
- Pre-admissions Form #2 – This form is for your personal medical history and allergies.
Pre-admission is vital for emergency cases; it means we have all your information on hand. We will be able to properly assess your needs and assist you appropriately and efficiently without delay.
If you have hospitalization insurance, we will bill your insurance company for you. If you do not have insurance, we can assist you by referring you to our financial counselor. Our professional staff will be happy to assist you in securing health benefits for yourself and your growing family.
For more information, click here.
During Your Stay
Childbirth is an important part of life, and we respect our patient’s wishes and needs throughout every step. With every step taken to ensure that our patients get the best possible experience, we enjoy a hands-on approach to understanding their needs.
- Maternity Ward Admission – When the time arrives and the contractions start, you can report to the ER where our team will direct you to the unit as soon as you have been assessed and monitored. The maternity unit is located on the third floor of the main hospital in Anniston, AL. Your prenatal care provider will confirm whether you are in labor and admit you to the LDR ward.
- Labor and Delivery – Once you have delivered your baby, you will be transferred to the post-partum rooms after an initial two-hour recovery.
- Postpartum Bedside Care – The golden hour is sacred at RMC; the first hour after delivery will be an uninterrupted bonding time for the new baby and parents. Bedside care is offered throughout the rooming-in period. All standard checks and procedures will take place there unless there is a need for alternative procedures.
Fore more information, visit the delivery/during your stay information page.
The Birth Center
With a particular focus on the comfort and safety of new parents and their babies, the maternity clinic at RMC, in Anniston, AL, offers state-of-the-art facilities to support you throughout pregnancy, birth, and post-partum care.
The birthing center is home to several in-house specialists that offer classes, support, advice, and care. The center’s physicians are experts in the field and provide support in:
- Family planning;
- Prenatal support/pregnancy care;
- Routine appointments and check-ups;
- Baby health and well-being;
- And women’s health care and gynecology.
The facilities on hand are modern and well-maintained, with dedicated labor and delivery beds and fully serviced and equipped rest and recovery suites.
Specialist Care Teams
The maternity unit at RMC has one of the best teams of OB-GYN doctors in Anniston, AL. Our OB-GYN doctors specialize in birth and prenatal care, and women’s health. They are supported by a team of skilled midwives and specialty nurses that will care for you and ensure you are comfortable throughout your stay.
Each doctor is a member of the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Each of our physicians is trained as primary care and prenatal care providers; they are equipped to guide you every step of the way.
Lactation Services and Breastfeeding Support
RMC encourages breastfeeding, and offers a wide range of support classes and expert advice for expectant mothers. There are many benefits to breastfeeding for you and your baby.
We understand that breastfeeding can come with its trials, which is why we have dedicated staff members that can guide you throughout your journey, answering questions and helping you get the most out of your experience while supporting your choices.
The RMC lactation center has a designated milk depot, where you can drop off donor milk. Contact us for more information on becoming a milk donor.
For more information about our lactation and breastfeeding services, visit the page.
Community Care Classes
The Women and Children’s Pavilion offers several community classes to help support and guide our patients through the process of parenthood. Whether you are searching for a local breastfeeding support group or mother and baby groups, RMC offers comprehensive support.
Our current offering is as follows:
- Prenatal Classes
- Natural Child Birth Classes
- Stork School
- Alabama Breastfeeding Medicine
- RMC Milk Drop
- RMC Lactation Services
For more services and upcoming events, please visit the page.
Better Bama Babies Hospital Recognition
As of June 2019, the RMC Women’s and Children’s Pavilion has be accredited by the Alabama Breastfeeding Committee as a Better Bama Babies facility. The purpose of the Better Bama Babies Hospital Recognition program is to improve infant mortality and to increase breastfeeding rates in Alabama by providing hospitals with a seven step plan to meet their breastfeeding goals, provide resources and assistance for them, to provide recognition for successfully completing this process, and to encourage/assist hospitals to complete steps towards achieving Baby Friendly status as local resources allow.
For more information on the Better Bama Babies Hospital Recognition Program, visit their website here.