Northeast Alabama Regional Medical Center (RMC)’s service area spans five counties in northeast Alabama, including Clay, Cleburne, Randolph, Talladega and Calhoun. The roots of RMC began in 1907 when Drs. E.M. and W.D. Sellers organized the Sellers Hospital, Anniston’s first hospital, at the corner of 5th Street and Leighton Avenue.
On October 23, 1944 Anniston Memorial Hospital, as it eventually became known, opened with 100 adult beds, 5 pediatric beds and 24 bassinets. Anniston Memorial began operations with 16 physicians, 91 employees and 31 student nurses. Herbert F. Singleton was administrator. A bequest from the late Louis H. Kaplan was directed for the purpose of establishing this public hospital in Anniston.
Today – RMC has evolved as a financially sound health care system that not only offers advanced clinical services unavailable at any other facility in the region, but one that operates without tax funding support from the local governmental entities or their constituents.
RMC has no “owners” or shareholders. Our stakeholders are members of the communities we serve. We reinvest hospital earnings back into our local communities through improved access to expanded health care services, state-of-the-art technologies and recruitment of top talent as the area’s largest employers.
With a total of 323 inpatient beds at the main campus at RMC Anniston, 125 beds at Stringfellow Memorial, 104 beds at RMC Jacksonville, and numerous outpatient facilities and services, RMC is the provider of choice for over 13,500 inpatients, 96,000 outpatients, nearly 2,000 newborn deliveries and 56,000 emergency room visits each year. Quality, compassionate care is provided by more than 2,000 employees, 300 volunteers and 200 physicians in a full range of specialties.
RMC offers several urgent care, primary care and specialty medical offices in outlying areas including: Piedmont, Jacksonville, Oxford, Roanoke and Anniston to improve access and convenience to quality health care for residents in these communities.