Infertility Awareness: Stats You Should Know

When the time is right to have a baby, conceiving can be more difficult than some people would like to experience. Couples who are unable to conceive after one year of trying are considered to have infertility when the woman is under the age of 35. For women age 35 and up, the time period to conceive is reduced to 6 months for them to have infertility. 

Age, physical health, and lifestyle choices can all contribute to infertility, as well as medical problems like pelvic disease, absent periods, and sexual dysfunction. But don’t get too discouraged. Knowing infertility stats could help you better understand how women and men can be affected by infertility, and what you can do to lower your risk for it.

Natural Fertility Rate Is Naturally Low – and that’s OK

A healthy, fertile 30-year-old woman’s natural fertility rate is only about 20% per month. For these women, 20% of them will be successful in any given cycle, leaving 80% to try again. This is perfectly normal.

Fertility Starts Declining Around Age 35

Natural fertility starts slowing down around the age of 35. By the time a woman reaches age 40, her chance of a natural pregnancy lowers to 5% or less per cycle. The best time to avoid infertility is when a woman is in her 20s.

Blocked Tubes Contribute to 35% of Infertility 

Over one-third of women attribute their infertility to blocked tubes caused by conditions such as infection or endometriosis. Issues of the peritoneum lining in the pelvis and abdomen can also cause problems. The good thing is that many women overcome these conditions with the right medical intervention. 

Science Resolves 90% of Infertility Cases

In today’s innovative world of reproductive treatments, medical therapies can resolve up to 90% of infertility conditions using surgery, medications, and reproductive techniques. In vitro fertilization and intrauterine insemination have come a long way in helping couples realize their dreams of building a family.

Losing Weight Can Greatly Improve Ovulation and Pregnancy

Women who are diagnosed with obesity carry an increased risk of miscarriage as well as a lower success rate for fertility treatments. A weight loss of 5% to 10% may dramatically improve ovulation and pregnancy rates for these women, lowering infertility.

Repeated Miscarriages Can Still Lead to a Healthy Pregnancy

Miscarriage isn’t uncommon for today’s couples hoping to have a baby. For those who have repeated miscarriages, it could be the result of an unknown underlying condition. Even so, 60% of women with repeated miscarriages can experience a healthy pregnancy and birth.

Learn More

Knowing these infertility stats can help you determine next steps to meet your goals of conception and birth. RMC physicians can work with you to make a plan for success followed by maternity care and delivery. Learn more about our specialized services at RMC.