To Find Out If You May Be At Risk For a Fall Or Have a Balance Disorder, Take This Quiz:
- I experience dizziness.
- I sometimes lose my balance.
- I have fallen more than once in the past six months.
- I limit my participation in activities because I have a fear of falling.
- I take medicine for two or more of the following disorders: heart disease, hypertension, arthritis, anxiety, or depression.
- I’ve become unsteady if I make a sudden movement.
- I have had a stroke or some type of problem that has affected my balance.
- I have experienced numbness or loss of sensation in my legs or feet.
- I have had a hip fracture or joint replacement in my lower limb.
- I exercise less than 20 to 30 minutes, three times a week.
- I feel unsteady when I walk or climb stairs.
- I need assistance to walk or to use a cane or walker.
If you have checked or answered “yes” to one or more of the above statements, then you may be at risk and should consult your physician about a balance center referral.
To see a specialist in the RMC Center for Balance Disorders, a physician’s referral is required. For additional information or to schedule an appointment, please contact the RMC Department of Rehabilitation Services at 256-235-5688.